The Parish Church of St Stephen’s, designed by the renowned architect John Middleton in the Early English style, was constructed in the late nineteenth century and consecrated by the Bishop of Gloucester in 1883.
The congregation at Christ Church recognised the need for a place of worship in the growing community of working people living in the Tivoli district of Cheltenham, and generously raised funds for the building of one of John Middleton’s masterpieces.
For many years St Stephen’s has become renowned as a welcoming, worshipping community for all families and single persons alike. Our Sunday School, founded well over a hundred years ago, continues to welcome young people. We worship God in the Anglo Catholic tradition with a particular emphasis on the sacramental life of the Church. The Eucharist, celebrated on Sundays, Wednesdays and major festivals is the central focus of our worship. In past years, St Stephen’s had a choral and musical tradition that enhanced the worship. Today we have a gifted and enthusiastic organist (A Fellow of the Royal College of Organists) who is keen to regain our tradition with a small lively mixed choir of children and adults.
Historically, the Church has had links with local commerce and founded St Stephen’s Sports and Social Club for the working men of the parish. At one time they boasted one of the most successful cricket teams in the town. The Cheltenham ‘Dripper’ competition continues to the present day!
The Parish Family at St Stephen’s look forward to welcoming all Pilgrims, Worshippers and Visitors.